Sunday, May 10, 2009

Family and running

The Fargo marathon was held on Saturday the 9th. It was a cold, 38 degrees at 8am, although you can't tell from the photo below.

The family arrived with a purpose: run to warm up, stay warm, then finish strong. From left to right: Meg (5K), Brett (relay leg 1), Bjorn (relay leg 3), Randy (full marathon WOW), Val (best supporter).

Pre-race shivers. It was freezing.

Here's my only good shot of the start. People just kept coming and coming. I got dizzy after watching 10,000 people stream by, hence the crooked shot.

Uncle Randy is amazing, this is his 4th full marathon (I think?? Let me know if I'm wrong), and he has been a great source of motivation and advice for us going into this event. We eased into the marathon experience by signing up as a team for the relay. It's 26.2 miles split by 4. Our relay order was Brett, me, Bjorn, Christy.

The first hand off went great. I spotted Brett straight away, he handed off the chip, and away I went.

Here's the 2nd hand off, me to Bjorn. It appears I wasted at least 15 seconds yapping, but I know he made up for it. He was fast.

Brett and I, after wishing Bjorn luck and sending him on his way to meet Christy at exchange point 3.


The family.

Grandpa Steve even showed up at the Dome on his way to the airport. Grandma Debi and him are in Boston right now loving up their first precious granddaughter, Hava.

Randy at the 1/2 marathon mark and looking good!

Meg, Bjorn, and Brett waiting in the Dome for Randy to cross the finish line. He came in minutes later but I was cheering so loudly, I forgot to snap a pic.

It's a long story, but I'll leave it at this: our team name was Silent Jump so of course we had to act it out for a picture.


I wish I had photos of Christy and Meg during their race but I don't on my camera. If I get some more great shots, I'll share them. Everyone did great. It was impressive and sooooo fun. We are going to do it again.

No comments: